Sunday, November 28, 2010

Podcasting

I have done and posted my first podcast My podcast (PAGE 2).  The process was quite simple and interesting to say the least. I can see however see how the process it can become time-consuming and stressful especially for people who consider themselves perfectionists.

I have recently done a bit of reading about podcast and found that a Podcast is simply a form of audio and or video broadcasting via the Internet. I learned that you actually subscribe to podcasts much like you subscribe to blogs. Also that podcasts are more often than not distributed through a blog and can be downloaded and then be listened to on your computer or transferred to your portable player to listen to later.

Technical requirements neede to create a podcast:
  • A microphone (most computers have built in ones)
  • Audio/video editing software (you can find these on the internet eg. Audacity)
  • Webcam (for video)
  • Internet access
  • Website or hosting service
  • RSS feed
Educational uses
Podcasting can be used in an educational setting in a variety of ways, including but not limited to the ability to allow teachers access to their students through the Internet, allowing information to be shared between teacher and students on an as needed basis. Students can also replay lessons at their own convenience, reducing what they miss. Podcasting is also way for teachers to provide additional resources to their students to aid in differentiation. Podcasting can also be used a motivational tool for students and a means of archiving information for other students the following year.
Two helpful external resources for creating podcasts are

3 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to try to use podcast to capture my students thoughts in Math. For example, their explanation of how they solved a problem. A lot of emphasis is put on students explaining their thoughts in writing. It can be difficult for some of my students who are do not write well. I think I will try it when I go back to work in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've podcasted in the past (is that even a word?) but I have never had my students do a podcast for me. It would be interesting to try! Each year my class does a project on individual alternate resources and every year I try something different. Maybe this year will be the year of the podcast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iffeisha,
    Podcasting offers a wide variety of options for students. I have had some experience with it and it really engages the students in learning. I hope that you have success with how you choose to use podcasting.

    ReplyDelete